European Travel Information and Authorization System
ETIAS news

ETIAS and students in Europe

Etias Visa Waiver
ETIAS Europe

Students permit holders are currently experiencing rapid change

ETIAS will increase Europe’s security. Non-EU citizens of “third countries” must complete an online form to get ETIAS approval.

A valid passport was all you needed to allow students from third countries to enter universities and colleges in Europe.

The course location and duration will affect the documentation and permissions needed. Some countries may require visas or permits to allow students to study there.

European education is highly appreciated.

Each year, millions of students outside the EU enroll at European colleges and universities. Students with no interest in learning another language may enroll in English-speaking universities offering an exceptional education and highly qualified teachers.

Canada and the United States are proud of their European education. American and Canadian students are most likely to choose universities in France, Spain, Germany, or Germany. These schools have a lot of value for students looking for work.

Canada, Europe, and sixty other countries enjoy visa-free entry into the EU/Schengen. This makes it more attractive and affordable to study in Europe.

Study permit required?

ETIAS approval or a Schengen Visa allows the holder to travel within the EU and Schengen Area for up to 90 days. However, this is not valid for students enrolled in a university or three-year college. Additional permission may be required. The ETIAS is valid for three years. Some university degrees may require more time.

While the rules for student visas may vary from country to country, most likely, this documentation will include

  • Documentation proving enrollment
  • Evidence that there is sufficient funding and financial resources
  • The appropriate health insurance.

These are the minimum requirements. However, the consulate representative may require additional documentation to verify the applicant’s education and personal background. A visa or study permit is not required for short courses abroad. However, a passport that ETIAS has approved will suffice.

Short-term Courses

Many European educational institutions offer short-term courses. They don’t have to exceed the ETIAS 90-day limit for third-country nationals. These courses usually last for less than one month.

ETIAS permits don’t require additional approvals or permits for courses lasting more than 90 days.

An ETIAS allows the holder to return to the EU at any time, as long as it does not exceed 90 days. If the course is expected last for more than 90 days, the college may deny the request.

Visa, Permit, ETIAS, or Visa

ETIAS must approve all students who are not EU or Schengen Area citizens to study in Europe.

It depends on whether a student has an ETIAS-approved passport or if they need a visa or permit.

  • The student’s nationality will be indicated on the passport
  • Course duration
  • The campus for the college/university

Short-term courses, which are shorter than 90 days consecutively, are acceptable for third-country citizens. An ETIAS-approved passport is sufficient. Students from third countries do not need a visa to enter the European zone or study there. However, regulations may differ between EU members.

Students coming from third countries will, as a rule:

  • Short-term courses under 90 days require ETIAS approval
  • Long-term studies require approval from ETIAS and a student visa/permit

ETIAS and student visas cannot be applied for simultaneously. A 90-day time limit allows for temporary stays, but not for more than 90 days.


Online applications for ETIAS are quick and easy, but student visa applications can be more difficult. They must be submitted directly to the appropriate consulate or embassies. Additional documentation may also be required to prove the applicant’s academic record, college acceptance, and sufficient insurance. Before any paperwork is collected or interviews are scheduled, it is essential to discuss this information with the staff at the embassy.